Spread it around to all your conservative friends. The only way to get America back on track is with cold hard facts. When I was growing up, we called it a reality check. I don’t know what this damned YOLO generation calls it, but America needs one.
It’s proven time after time that more guns do not mean less crime. I don’t know if these numbers came out of someone ass or if they were cited from a flawed or nonexistent study.
* Based upon Kleck & Gertz estimates of 2.5 million defensive gun uses per year (see source #2). A similar study in 1994 under President Clinton (Source) found this number to be 1.5 million, which would result in guns being used over 47x more often to defend a life than to take one.
According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, about 436,000 crimes were committed with a firearm in 2008 (Source). This would mean guns are used 5.7 or 3.4 times (using Kleck or Clinton respectively) more often to defend against a crime than to commit one.
** Comparing violent crime between two countries can sometimes be difficult as each nation defines it differently.
- 2010 CDC Report. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm
- Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, “Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense With a Gun,” 86 The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, Northwestern University School of Law, 1 (Fall 1995): http://www.saf.org/lawreviews/kleckandgertz1.htm
- Kleck and Gertz, “Armed Resistance to Crime,” at 185
- U.S., Department of Justice, National Institute of Justice, “The Armed Criminal in America: A Survey of Incarcerated Felons,” Research Report (July 1985): 27.
- “Homicide Statistics 2012”. UNODC.
- Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy (pp. 649-694). Volume 30, Number 2: http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf
- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/5712573/UK-is-violent-crime-capital-of-Europe.html; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html
- BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm
- Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB841185795318576500.html
- USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2012/12/25/gun-free-zone-john-lott/1791085/
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/protective-service/police-and-detectives.htm
- Newsweek Magazine: Nov 14, 1993: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/1993/11/14/are-we-a-nation-of-cowards.html
- The Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/article/auditing-shooting-rampage-statistics
- Kleck, Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America, (1991):111-116, 148.
- Gary Kleck, “Crime Control Through the Private Use of Armed Force,” Social Problems 35 (February 1988):15
- City Rating: http://www.cityrating.com/crime-statistics/georgia/kennesaw.html#.UO5soYnjkz4
Step your game up Yemen, Switzerland, and Finland. That mandatory gun law is bullshit fyi. You can mandate people owning guns.